Saturday, March 3, 2012

Dealing with Burdens (my burden as an example)


I don't mean to get anyone down before the approaching Sunday but I just had to post tonight to say that today was somewhat of a downer. All the talks with medical students, admission's committee people and family, I just need a good Sunday to revive my spirits. This week I:

- Learned I might have to, "Just re-apply next year" when I met with the former dean of admissions while at a church function.

-Was reminded of the hard times during undergrad as a premed when I had about an hour chat with a pre-med student.  I felt like an experienced soldier talking to a newby, knowing there are a lot of hard things he doesn't know are coming but will be experiencing soon.

- Had no good news about medical school applications to tell my medical student friends after playing ball with them. They obviously know what it's like to not have a clue about your future for MONTHS.  


Spent long hours in thought and speaking with my wife about our decisions for the future. It sometimes feels like you're not just carrying a reasonable burden on your back, but the future of your immediately family, your loved ones, and a small part of the future of all those you'll come into contact with...


Kind of feels like a bit bigger burden when you put it that way eh?

There is obviously no burden too big for the Savior, which is why I look forward to Sunday.  Tomorrow I get to I forget myself as I serve others .  Things will work out how they're supposed to. I have no doubt about that, especially as I am doing all within my power to make it into Medical School. I also feel it is very important to "be a running horse with velvet ears".  

If I am not paying attention to the whispering's of my heart as I work towards medical school, I may miss powerful detours.  Detours that may help me achieve my ultimate goals of helping others, but detours that don't make me an MD. Detours I never took the time to notice existed.

Have a great Sunday and remember, someone carried a burden MUCH heavier and for MANY MORE than you or I ever will .  He carried that burden so you and I can turn to Him and obtain  relief!  Sweet relief.


I KNOW He carried that burden and lives today to help us along our own Journey...wherever that takes us.

-Michael

7 comments:

  1. Michael, thank you so much for posting this on facebook so that I could read it. I actually didn't know you had a blog, but man isn't it important to document what you're going through? You never know who it might reach. Just this weekend we were in a very minor car accident, but let me tell you it was THE LAST thing we needed after the week we had. Good to remember especially considering sometimes Sundays with 3 boys can be stressful instead of restful and renewed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,

    Whether you know it or not, the Elder's Quorum is pulling for you. We appreciate your service and look forward to seeing you on Sundays. I can't imagine how hard this must be for you, but I do know that with the Savior, you are equal to the task. If you ever need a break just to hang out, let me know.

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have been a great support brother. I treasure our friendship, thank you.

      Delete
  3. Mike, sometimes the Lord has other plans. We just have to listen and follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely hear ya brother. It's been very interesting having this break from school and such. I have seen a whole new vista of jobs I could begin/accept and have a very good life (i.e. managing assisted living facilities, becoming a personal trainer, owning a gym, teaching/coaching highschool). I believe it's imperative I listen hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael, I admire your attitude and eternal focus. No matter the outcome it will have made all the difference. The kids (and Tyler and I) pray for you often. Hang in there. Eventually the months do pass and the answers do come. We look forward to visiting with you and Rachel and little Jackson soon!
    -anya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anya, thanks. Tyler is a stellar example of finding a way. I look up to your family and am very grateful for your prayers and other support. I can't wait to see your family so soon! Love you all (y'all).

      Delete