Monday, August 20, 2012

My First Medical School Exam


Preparing
Ok,  let's start from the beginning.  When there was a test in undergrad one could spend about a half a day, maybe a full day, studying for it, take it, and obtain pretty good results.  Studying for my first medical school exam proved a little different. Beginning three weeks ago...ok so not that far. Beginning last Thursday I began preparing for my Monday exam.  I made a game plan of conquering/solidifying my understanding of molecular medine (biochem), gross anatomy, and histology.  5 hours on thursday, 11 hours on Friday, 14 hours on Saturday and 4 hours Monday morning were what I put in to prepare for that beast.

Minutes Before
The exam was scheduled to start Exactly at 9am.  If a student showed up late they would not be permitted to take the first half of the exam but could join for the second half.  As you could imagine the place was buzzing around 8:15.  That's when my tacos started. I thought of taking a picture with my hands in the air and the sweat stains under my axillary region (armpits) but never got around to it.  IVE NEVER BEEN SO NERVOUS FOR A TEST IN MY LIFE!!
I could barely even talk.  I am not joking.  Someone asked me a question when I was in the hall and I could barely even answer it. It was the most bizarre feeling.  I sat near some of my friends and people I've studied with and and know really well.  I was talking with them seemed to lighten things up a bit nonetheless, I was still shaking. Really, it was weird.

The test
The test began right at 9:00.  The first 50 questions were all histology slides. We were to identify structures cells that. Had colored arrows pointing to them and to write down functions of certain tissues and the primary purposes of other cells, I felt good about this section.

-short break-

The remaining portion of the test was 100 questions timed for two hours max.  At BYU I rarely ever took timed exams by studying for the MCAT/lion I learned how to time myself pretty well and that helped today.  The questions were tricky and difficult. I felt supported and strengthened because I knew that others were praying for me. I definitely felt it.  My favorite questions were those where I knew what the professor was testing us on and thereby knew the answer pretty quickly.  I won't know my score on the exam until Friday. I just hope I passed and I really hope that I can set a good pattern for learning for the remainder of medical school.

Feelings after
On my bike ride home I just had this happiness come over me. I'm really doing it!


 I'm really in medical school and taking tests and learning how to become a physician. I am very grateful for my Heavenly Father allowing me to be here and study to be a physician at A&M!

-one step closer to dr. Mike:)

2 comments:

  1. Man that sounds like it could have been almost as nerve racking as when you asked Rachel to marry you the second time around :) Glad that you had that initial exposure and will be able to set a good rhythm for the rest of your tests! maybe for the next exam you could try wearing some of Rachel's deoterant :) Keep it 'secret' haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU REALLY ARE DOING IT!!!! Great job Dr. Michael Lon xoxo

    ReplyDelete