Sunday, January 15, 2012

How to Fail MCAT's Verbal Reasoning Section


I have been told that the Verbal Reasoning section of the MCAT is one of the only sections that has actually been proven to predict your success in medical school.  While I did the best I could my first go around on the MCAT, how did I jump from a 5 to a 10?
 It was kind of funny. I met with Dr. E. that works here at Texas Tech in the Ophthalmology clinic. He and I met in his office just weeks after I arrived in Lubbock. After getting to know one another just a little bit, he asked me what I got on the MCAT. I told him that I had to take it twice. I said I got a 22 the first go around and a 30 the second time. He then looked at me puzzled and said, "What the heck happened the first time?" and he had every right to ask.

How to fail at Verbal Reasoning


To be completely honest with myself and look deep into my mind throughout my undergraduate studies, I was a hopeful test taker. Let me explain.  I attended classes faithfully, I studied some days and when I did homework, it was with about 70% engagement in the subject most of the time. When I got to the tests I knew I could recite a majority of the concepts to my study partners. I knew that I understood where I few equations went, or how a few processes would work, but deep down in my heart of hearts, most of the time I knew I could do more to know more.
This was about the same attitude I took towards the MCAT the first time. I remember thinking thoughts like: "I know it's a hard test but I've taken these classes."  or "I'll study hard for the MCAT but I've got to still get good grades. That is first priority."  I rushed through preparations for my group meetings (I took Altius test prep and there are about 3 groups meetings each week. Very effective if you're prepared) and remember telling myself often that I wish I knew more or had done more work to prepare.  Quantitatively I was putting in about 4-5 hours of personal time each week to learn the subject material and only 1.5 hrs for verbal reasoning. These are the types of trends you want to have if you want to have the MCAT's verbal Reasoning dominate you.
I remember reading Wall Street Journal articles for MCAT practice. Sometimes I would time myself and sometimes I would write MCAT type questions about the article. I never did all 10 a week. If or when I did, I would sometimes do it all in one sitting so I could tell my tutor, when I met with him in an hour from then, that I had completed my goals.  It was rough. I was involved in intramural sports, held two church responsibilities,  was a Physiology TA, was working 5-8 hrs. in a lab and to add to the mix I was still dating, going to parties and working on other small projects. To say the least, I had tricked myself to hoping to do well on the MCAT, or even the Verbal Reasoning passages. In no way was I putting in the "training time" to develop the mind muscles to think like MCAT verbal reasoning authors and to ask the same questions.
Does that paint a good enough picture as how to Fail the Verbal Reasoning section?
Just don't be committed, Don't  put in any more than 4-5 hours a week, trick yourself to believing you'll get a little easier passages for the actual MCAT and possibly even passages you've already read. Because you want to fail the MCAT verbal reasoning section continue to read like you always do for books and comic strips.  Say the words in your head. Take your time reading whenever you want to day-dream go on ahead and let that mind wander. You've got this. No sweat required in mastering the art of failing.
Hope this didn't help you.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I love it! I sure could have used this before I took the MCAT the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah! I am reading a post that is completely different. It is an important section of many exams. Like my daughter told me about this section from her LSAT Sample Questions. She finds it difficult too but considers it to be the one more scoring than other section. Well, it might differ from exam to exam.

    ReplyDelete