Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Rejection, Almost Rejection & Wait listed

To be written Tomorrow...

Tomorrow

Here are my updates with Medical School Applications


Thursday

UT Southwestern 
E-mailed me. "Unfortunately, there are more than 15 applications for every seat in the entering class requiring that many excellent applicants receive a negative answer.  Regrettably, this is the case with your application.

We are sorry we cannot consider your application further.  Thank you again for
applying to UT Southwestern and accept our best wishes for the future."


Monday: 

Texas Tech e-mailed me inviting me to a re-applicant seminar on February 17th.  I received this e-mail as I was leaving for work right as I was walking out the door. It was disheartening in many ways. Did this mean I wasn't accepted?  Why hadn't I been told earlier that I wasn't accepted?
These questions began going through my mind. My wife said not to worry about it because they probably sent it to all applicants that haven't been accepted yet. I agreed with her and went off for work.

Tuesday

Wait Listed
-Texas A&M e-mailed me. Here are some excerpts from the e-mail:

"Dear Applicant, Although we have filled the class of 2016 at this time, the admissions committee invites you to take a place on its Alternate List... Congratulations on being selected as an alternate!"

I feel like this was a good e-mail and it is. Knowing that A&M will be very selective this year and careful not to exceed their current spots for students, this was a very good sign. I also read more about the Alternate list and Wait List on some websites:
The ivyleagueadmissions link talks most extensively about being on the wait-list and additionally provides ideas to have your name put higher up the list. Very practical and helpful.

- I Called some loved ones to tell them the good news. I also requested an additional Letter of Recommendation from Phillip Waldmann, the head of the department I work for. I believe that letter will be strong.


Wednesday

Advice
I am more than a little fish in an ocean of applicants to the admissions committee. I actually feel like I'm a fish near their boat and they are expressing interest in me.  Although Texas Tech and Texas A&M are 2 medical schools in hundreds, I have made an impression.  They are still looking at me, and as discussed in the iveleagueadmissions article,

"You have nothing to lose by continuing to market yourself to the Admissions Committee...

 So I will continue to do all I can to express interest in Texas A&M and TECH.
The article encouragingly continues...

"If given the choice between calling an ambivalent candidate or someone who is eager to attend, (s)he (the admissions officer) will select the enthusiastic candidate every time. You have nothing to lose by selling your enthusiasm and letting them know they are your first choice."


Sounds great to me!

-premed2medicalschool 





3 comments:

  1. Way to be positive and keep on keepin' on. Good things are coming to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,
    They know you're good, but they just don't know you yet. Maybe there's a way to accomplish that, at least in part.
    --Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Wayne and Crystalee. I feel the support.

    There is an opportunity for me to send A&M
    1)an additional letter of recommendation,
    2) a personal statement highlighting additional accomplishments/experiences, and
    3)an update on transcripts/classes.

    I will be able to provide to them all of these.

    The only downer is I spent over 180 hrs. on my first personal statement and over 60 drafts. That doesn't exactly make me thrilled to write another.

    I'll do it though. It'll pay off, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete