Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Application Update & doubts about doing the MD/MBA program



No, I'm still not in... but I know there's light at the end of the road.

APPLICATION UPDATES
 I thought it a good idea to notify Texas Tech and A&M about my HUC certification test.  This morning, after nearly finishing my e-mail to Louis Perez, I decided instead to take a copy of my HUC certificate to the Admission's office and include the revised (A&M) personal statement.  I went to the office today and turned the two documents in.  Louis was gone, so I just turned them in to the front desk.  I hope something comes of it. I will e-mail Leila Diaz tomorrow (with Texas A&M) and notify her of my becoming a certified HUC.  You may laugh, but I think it's a big deal. That test was hard...also, I didn't even mention this but of the 100 HUCs at UMC, only 12 are certified and the average employement as a HUC is 19 years!!  So, it is pretty good to tell them I'm certified.  Which brings me to my next discussion point: MD/MBA.

MD/MBA
I have been considering only doing the MD program.  Here is how this decision began.  My wife, beautiful and wonderful woman that she is, simply said to me one night, "Mike, are you SUUUURE you want to do the MBA program too?"  That's pretty much all it took.  Her soft spoken, thought provoking question has now lingered in the corners of my heart and occupied my thoughts.
I now ask myself:
How much time do I want to spend with my family?  
Isn't the MD going to make me busy enough?!!
Where are my priorities? and 
Do I need to have an MBA to do business as a doctor?  

I've already taken most of the MBA classes they offer at Tech anyway.  I will continue to consider this issue and possibly go in and talk with Louis, asking him if I could possibly be considered ONLY for the MD program. This late in the application process, I believe that decision would positively benefit my chances of getting in.

MY BRAIN
There you have it, the inner workings of  my mind right there for you. That's what I'm thinking right now on this lovely 28th day of February year 2012.

-Mike

1 comment:

  1. I've been following your trek through the admissions swamp as you post links to your blog. I just want to tell you, if it means anything, that you're going about these challenges the right way. I wasn't initially admitted to my PhD program. But sheer force of will and determination (and relentless contact with faculty, administration and admissions representatives) ended up getting me in from the wait list. Only those who want something as badly as you do (and I did) understand how frustrating the waiting game can be. If it is ANY consolation I know you are going about this the right way and commend you for your positive attitude and "sticktoitiveness"! I'll keep following your efforts and continue to wish you the best. I know Med school is significantly different from an academic PhD program - but if I can be of any help, let me know. All the best to you and keep up the hard work and positive attitude!

    ReplyDelete