Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I don't even know the name of my first patient...


Yesterday and this morning I was pretty consumed with the idea that at 2:00pm I would open up the lid of a big titanium tank and there would be a dead person in it. I just didn't know how I would react. I imagined all the medical students would be in a big room with about 20 tanks and all of us would just lift up the lids and sort of gasp as we looked inside to see a naked dead body. I imagined them fully exposed, just eyes closed, ready for us to dissect them... 

(This picture is not from our A&M lab, this picture is off the internet. Imagine 5x's this many people and 20 more tanks...we were in white lab coats too)

I am glad to tell you that it didn't go down exactly like that. Although there was a large number of medical students (140) all in one room, and there were exactly 21 tanks, when the time came for us to open up the cadaver tank, we found a body that was covered in a white cloth. As we pulled the white cloth down from the head, the head of the cadaver was wrapped in bandages. The hands, the feet and the head were each wrapped in this same type of bandaging. That was nice. I don't think it would have been good to have first seen the face.

We began lab by becoming familiar with the anatomy of the cadaver.  We felt along the sternum, the clavicle bone, and the ribs. Then we placed a single blade at the manubrium, right below (inferior) to the jugular notch and made our first incision. It was neat because we all had our hands on one  scalpel when we made the first cut into the skin.  

Throughout the next 4 hours we removed the skin on the chest and got through the fatty layer (subcutaneous fascia) and made our way to the muscles. We identified the pectoralis Major, Pectoralis Minor, Deltoids, and subclavian muscle. We found nerves supplying most of these muscles and many arteries (I say "found" but really we were assigned to dissect and identify these structures:)  

It was more difficult than I imagined, and just as intriguing and accelerating as I expected. It was almost as if I were discovering arteries and veins that had never before been seen.  As I made incisions and picked away fatty tissue, it was almost like I was creating a personal study module for me to learn from.  Every new image  became burned into my memory.  Using a real cadaver to learn anatomy is the only way to go.

I am grateful for the individuals that donated their bodies for me, and my fellow medical students, to learn anatomy. I will treat the cadavers with great respect and reverence. It is an interesting thought that we work with dead bodies so we can keep people alive.

-Dr. Mike



5 comments:

  1. Mikey,

    Not that you'll ever have any free time to read, but you should pick up the book "Complications" by Atul Gawande. It discusses the paradox of balancing high quality care with the absolute necessity of training surgeons (and other physicians) on actual living people. A great read with a lot of cool OR stories to get you excited about your future. Maybe in a year or two? Congrats anyway on Med School!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love comments.

    Thanks Jamie. I've read "Better" by Atul Gawande as well as some New York Times articles of his. He is a physician I look up to! I will get my hands on "Complications".
    Thanks for the recommendation brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang brother. That sounds AMAZING! You described it so well I could totally picture it. You are so on your way Dr. Mike. I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! I can't even imagine the anticipation of that experience. I love your description of everything and am so glad that you have this blog to keep us informed of your adventures in medical school...YEAH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks fam! Sure grateful for your support. That is for sure!

    ReplyDelete