Monday, May 14, 2012

ACCEPTED INTO TEXAS A&M MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!!


I have been officially accepted into Texas A&M Medical School. I am so excited to share this news. I was absent for about a month here on the blog. It was almost like I was holding my breath just waiting for the very moment that came just today.

The call came this morning (May 14th) at 8:48.  I was at my desk preparing for selling for adept web marketing (a little side job I've picked up).  Leila Diaz called from Texas A&M. She asked if it is confirmed that I will be an official Texas resident as of July 1st. I told her that is true. "Then we would like to extend an offer to you for this years medical school class at Texas A&M." I said absolutely something like three times. Then she asked, "So is that a yes?" I said "YES."  There was so more talk then I hung up the phone and just cried. All the hard work. All the prayers from my own knees and the many many prayers and faith from so many friends and family members. I felt/feel so overwhelmed with gratitude and sheer joy. It has all paid off.

I know that this success has not been from my efforts alone but a cumulative effort from so many friends and family. From MCAT study help, to publishing a Journal Article, to being allowed to serve at the hospital and shadow doctors and have my personal statement edited so many times, to having so many friends always ask me how things are coming. All of it has been such a help. I think there has been much I have gleaned from this experience. I have chosen to include just a few of these lessons learned. I hope it helps.

Lesson Learned: 
- As one of my friends, Don Morris, said today. "If you really want anything bad enough, and are willing to work for it, you can accomplish it." This has been my experience through applying for Medical School. I am not the smartest or most intelligent applicant but I wanted to get into medicine so I worked my tail off in other areas to make up for those losses and got in.

- Move to Texas as soon as you graduate from College. Apply to medical school, work a year, become a Texas resident = increase your chances of getting into a Texas School & only pay $12,500/yr in tuition.

-Keep in contact with those in the admission's committee. I e-mailed A&M my junior year of College and asked for their opinion on how I can best prepare to be a great applicant. Since applying I have called, e-mailed and met with many individuals on the admissions committee of both Texas A&M and  Texas Tech.

-Never, Never, no Never give up. Disappointment comes, just dig down deeper.  Make goals and plans and allow others to help you along the way. Never stop.


I will continue to update this blog until my white coat ceremony (I'm really doing this man!).  I will work on improving posts and including more links to other sites that I find helpful. I will assist others in getting into medical school just as many have helped me. I am now a part of a group of Doctors and future doctors that are committed to improving and preserving lives. If I can do that by helping others get into medical school then I will.

with sincere gratitude,

-Michael, future MD



5 comments:

  1. Congrats, Mike. Although we'll be sad to see you go, we're happy for you that this trial is finally coming to an end...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! I was pretty happy to see the news on facebook! Congrats again, I really admire your persistence and determination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I KNEW the call would come! I'm just SO grateful it happened now instead of later!!! I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you my friend. Your words of wisdom are inspirational and motivate me to keep working hard so that one day I too can be in your shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great, Micheal! I just came across it and remember it all well. I'm so glad you're here!

    ReplyDelete