Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Diagnosis from a First Year Medical Student

I have been thinking about this blog often. There are stories and details I could tell you about nearly every hour of the day! Seriuosly. What I have concluded is I will be making more frequent, but less lengthy posts.

Brazos County Free Clinic.
The 2nd-4th year medical students came to our lecture hall before class started today. They played this clip and since then have been laughing all day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8l8_G_ce_Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Did you like it?!

Clinical Studies Class Today
Medical school has been brutal. I have felt like I'm studying to take a huge test nearly every day and have seen my colleagues even more stressed than I. Many of my friends in the program come to class each morning just struggling to stay awake. They tell me they couldn't sleep or they were up till 3. One even says he goes to sleep, wakes up and studies and then goes to sleep some more. These people are on turbo charge. I have been getting about 7 1/2 hours of sleep every night and I have been even feeling my immune system slightly weaker with the increased tension and desire to succeed.
Let me calm your nerves by telling you that our professor today gave us some wonderful advice. B's still make MD's. As hard as we try, tests are going to be difficult and we are not going to get every question right. We must face that fact. He looked at us and asked, "Does anyone know what rank I was in my class?" Someone said, "32nd?" Then he replied, "No, not how old I was, what I was ranked!"  Everyone laughed, then he said. "Was I first? Was I last?  No one knows because no one cares!  I'm an MD and I am practicing medicine as best I can. You've been cut throat all your undergraduate careers. Now you're in. You've made it!  Help eachother, get some rest, exercise every day and relax. You will do well and no one will care what rank you were in your class!"

The doctor in the back said amen and we all felt better. I totally agree. I am going to work my gluteus maximus off this weekend as I study for my first medical school exam which will be on Monday, but I will not worry to the point of illness. I will relax and know I have given it my all and I will still come home and night and hug my wife and play with my son!

Conclusion, this is why it still might be difficult for me to write short glimpses of the days we have in medical school. I think about the day often and I like writting it down.

Enjoy your night because I'm going to enjoy mine!

-Dr. Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment