Monday, January 16, 2012

Change your WHAT into WHY


The stickers were hurting my arm as I quickly placed them in a long row up my arm. I then thumbed through the patients orders, ripping individual stickers now off my arm to place them on the patients orders, page by page, admission of a new patient after new admission.  The telephone wouldn't stop ringing. I answered each call, getting increasingly annoyed at the callers. My mind started to blurr and I suddenly found myself taking much too long to place the doctor's orders into the computer.

My day today as a HUC (Health Unit Coordinator) was stressful and annoying in more ways that four.  I was busy, I was tired, I was sick of it...until I change my work from WHAT into WHY.  It was a simple telephone call. The linens lady was calling me back because I had paged her. I was so sick of people calling that in order for me not to show my annoyance I was overly happy. This was the ultimate of overly, "A wonderful evening to you. This is 3 West, Michael. How may I brighten your night?"  That was over the top. But what was so cool about the whole thing was how the lady on the other end replied. "Well thank you so much sir. I am so grateful for your cheery attitude."  and that was all I needed.  My mind then turned from putting in orders, answering phone calls, finding nurses to tell them about their patients that needed them and so forth, into I am helping individuals heal and be happy.  As a HUC tonight, I can help individuals heal and be happy. What a thought. My night then became great. I had a smile more often, I worked with more diligence. The tasks then became a means to a noble end, as opposed to the end.


This finding the why will help in anything you do. Try it. Tell me about it and I guarantee your story will brighten someone else's day.

1 comment:

  1. Got off work yesterday at 11:20pm. I got called in early for work today... Just another opportunity for me to apply this principle. Gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete