Friday, January 13, 2012

What Nurses think of Medical Students Part II


At the Hospital some say Medical Students are a little bossy eh?  They try a little too hard to get something done, thinking they can overide the hospital's standard procedure?

I had a thought after writing my last post that I think might be a cool train of thought. Medical Students may not know everything about the ins and outs of a hospital but what they do know is they have HUGE shoes to fill.  Here is what they are working to live up to:

Those in Medicine are to:
respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk
apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required
not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.
(Hippocratic Oath)

If you were to ask me, that is a pretty tall order. Learn "all" that is required to help heal the sick, positively affect a patient, their family, and their economic stability.  If, when, I am a medical student, I think I will be working very hard to do all within my power to learn the science and art of healing. I can only imagine that medical students are feeling just slightly overwhelmed with all they must learn and do.  

I would just like to say that I am grateful we have licensed nurses who work tirelessly for long hours to tend to Doctor's and Patient's needs. I am grateful for willing and able doctors that work their tail off for other's. It has been a privilege to have gotten to know many nurses and doctors at UMC,  I hope I will be a better Medical Student and Doctor from what I've learned.

-MLH




1 comment:

  1. Mike,

    This is an interesting viewpoint. Perception and attitude are everything. If a med student is perceived as arrogant or cocky, nurses do not want to help or direct them to hospital policy/procedure. Or help them in any way for that matter. I have met and worked with many med students. If a med students enters a nurses world (ICU for example)with a team approach, rather than "I'm the doctor, you're the nurse" attitude, then they will both learn a lot from each other. I wish doctors and nurses could always work together as a team. Doctors and nurses are trained very differently, but both depend on each other.

    ReplyDelete