Wednesday, January 18, 2012

How To Choose Your MCAT Date



I just got a Tweet from my old MCAT prep group, Altius.


"Registration for spring MCAT exams opened today. Log-on to to select your date and testing center. Seats fill fast!"

My History
I signed up for the MCAT three times. In 2010, I signed up to take it in March, then rescheduled it for May, then rescheduled it again to take it in June.  After I took the MCAT, I immediately signed up for another test date in August.  I never ended up taking that exam and decided the night before that I wouldn't take it...284$ in the toilet.

 In 2011 I set a date for June 26th and that was the Day I took the actual exam. 

What was the difference?

Determination, meaningful goals, and dedication.

Determination:
After taking a 5 month hiatus from Medical School applications. I renewed my determination to go into medicine through much prayer, talking to friends and family, and choosing my career path.   When January 2011 came around, I KNEW I was going into medicine. The date I chose to take the MCAT had been chosen not simply because it looked good, but the date was going to give me enough time to know the material. 

Meaningful Goals:
Without pulling out my goal sheets and pasting them onto this post I can tell you I knew very well what needed to be done each week.  I used Altius' test prep weekly goal sheet and my verbal Reasoning book "MCAT VERBAL REASONING MASTERY" (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0981672108/ref=asc_df_09816721081866175?smid=ASYDZOX0HKBSE&tag=dealtmp649284-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=0981672108 ) to lay out a plan for knowing the topics. Each week I could check off, or recommit, skills and knowledge I had gained.  Setting meaningful and realistic goals is a crucial step to knowing what date to schedule your MCAT 
test.

Dedication
Failure: 2010 I chose to take the MCAT in June. I thought that I could still work in my lab 8 hrs. a week. If I was going to be in that building on campus then I figured I might as well still TA, which I did. I also attempted to spend a lot of time with my wife and to be involved in many extra curricular events. Result: MCAT score 22.

Success: 2011 I set my date for June 16, early. When school was out I peaced out of the lab, being a TA, extra curricular activities and studied roughly 50-65 hours each week. I KNEW that I needed to spend that time to train my brain and my body to succeed when the pressure would come on MCAT test day.  Result: MCAT score 30.

Final Advice:

Take into consideration your commitment to the MCAT when choosing a date.  How much time are you willing to spend each week in your diligent studying?  If your total time isn't around 200-300 you should probably re-evaluate your priorities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment