Monday, October 8, 2012

4th Test, Last Test of the 1st Block



THE DEATH TEST DAY! I seriously felt so defeated after our multiple choice section of our test today. It was the last test of our first block of Medical School and I felt like it was no fun. There were many dimensions going on during the test that made it particularly difficult for me.
  •  My computer didn't work for the test so I started late...which meant
  • I ended late and everyone was talking and packing up when I had 5 minutes left and 7 more question! I had to guess on the last 2.
  • It was so frustrating to feel defeated on that test because I felt like I could have answered 5-7 more questions more thoroughly, it was just timed so that made it so much more difficult. I couldn't do some of the math quick enough and I didn't know my stuff as readily as I needed to.
  • There was so much material on that test!!  88 questions in 103 minutes! So much biochem, anatomy and pharmacology. SO much!

At any rate, I got to the MSL to study before the last part of my test, the lab practical, and I just flat out didn't want to study.  I felt like eating lunch and listening to Reggae...which I did for a while:)  I called my wife and son on Skype and that was when my day got good. My son on the other side was just staring at the screen and waving to me. It felt so good to see them both and to remember one of the reasons why I am in medical school. What a blessing to have such a united and beautiful family. I am so blessed and so grateful for their support. I didn't talk with them love but I was re-energized. They said they would pray for me and I felt the answer to their humble prayers as I had energy to study and performed well on the lab practical.

I am grateful for these experiences in Medical School because I believe they are training me for more difficult experiences down the road. I want to be there for my family, first and foremost, and to my patients. I look forward to internalizing all these dump-truck loads of material and information. It will be great when it all applies to patients and I can see who I am treating. Right now it's easy to get caught up in tests and paperwork and miss the big picture.
I am grateful for glimpses of the big picture.

-MLH

No comments:

Post a Comment