Monday, July 30, 2012

First day of med school

No one could have said it better than my M1 colleague this morning on Facebook.

"Who else is excited to start drinking from a firehidrant? :-D"


It was drinking or of a fire hose.  My favorite part of the day was when histology lecture was going on and all I wanted was for the lecture to stop right there. Our time was up, it was 4pm, but then a notification flashed on the screen, "Your scheduled lecture has been extended to 4:15. New end time."  I don't konw what it was, but today was just a lot of information. The worst part...I've already learned most of what I heard today wihle I was in undergrad!  I don't know why I don't still have it al in my head.

FINALLY once our histology lecture was over, a few buddies and I went to a classroom to review the days lectures.  You should have seen the looks on these guys faces!  We were all pretty toasted.  I felt like it was finals week and we were studying for yet another exam. Seriously. The first day of medical school felt like a test week in undergrad.  Guess "ya gotta love it."

So I still plan on telling you all about orientation week. Perhaps I'll share the details soon. Suffice it to say for now that last week I heard hundreds of "do nots" and "expectations", signed form after form to be able to set foot into professiona clinics, and learned this is a "professional" school. Ther are high standards, and rightly so.

I am motivated to do well in Medical School. I am committed to succeeding. I met with a M2 yesteraday, we had over her and her husband for dinner.  I learned a lot about what books to get and not to get, lectures to really be prepared for, and some study ideas for succeeding the first few months. I am very grateful for this friend and would like to do the same for someone someday.  Seriously, this profession allows for great amounts of service, or no service as all.

Hope you're day is going great!

No comments:

Post a Comment