Thursday, February 2, 2012

Stay Pumped Up by Talking With Doctors


I had a bumpy day; one that ended on a good note.

This morning:
I know a medical student. A really nice girl; always asking me if I've heard anything from the medical school's I've interview at.  As a matter of fact she was actually one of my interviewers here at Tech.  So she may have an invested interest in my success, who knows?  Today I saw her as she was rounding the surgery group. As usual, she asked if I had heard anything. I said no and then told her that the Texas Match was yesterday (Feb. 1st).  She kind of gave me a "Oh.  Well, there is always next year." type of a response.  I didn't exactly love that. I want to get in this year.  That made me a little contemplative and slightly frustrated for a while...until work got me to think about others things.  Then...

Tonight
I played basketball with some church buddies. We played hard.  (In church ball we are all winners so I don't need to say what the score was:)  After the game one of my team-mates (a first year resident going into Anesthesiology) and I had a good chat.  First we were just shot the breeze and talked about our families and about our pitiful game.

Pump up
Then we began talking about medicine. He told me that although he took off two years after graduating with his bachelors, he was glad he went into medicine. He told me I would make a good salesman, perhaps even with medical equipment and supplies. We talked about specialties in Medicine and which one I'm leaning towards (orthopedics).
As the end of the conversation neared, he told me the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  I liked that.  I then thought about how many times I've e-mailed the admissions committee, that I've met with the Dean of the Medical School for 30 minutes, that I went personally to Dr. Peck's office to thank her for the interview experience that day. I thought about other actions I've taken to get into medical school by calling other schools and talking with higher ranked individuals. His comment of the squeaky wheel getting the grease made me happy. I believe it will pay off and I believe it is an important principle to remember.

Keep talking with Doctors. Those that really care about you will pump you up and encourage you, as they should. Strengthen the connections you have and build more connections as often as possible. I believe you will never regret that.

Good luck. Keep pushing towards your goal my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment